Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction started its activity with engineering and construction faculty under Baku Polytechnic Institute in 1920.
Specialists on construction field were trained at Baku Polytechnic, Azerbaijan Oil, then at Azerbaijan Institute of Industry during several years. An independent Civil Engineering Institute was established on base of engineering and construction faculty in 1932 – 1934 years. It was known as “Construction” faculty at Azerbaijan Institute of Industry since 1934. With the establishment of the Polytechnic Institute in 1951the faculties of architecture, construction, hydro melioration and transportation were moved there. In 1975 with the initiative of Heydar Aliyev, National Leader of our people with the decree of USSR Council of Ministers Azerbaijan Institute of Civil Engineering (present Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction ) was founded on basis of Architectural, Construction, Hydro melioration and Transportation faculties of Azerbaijan Institute of Polytechnic. On 13 June, 2000 by the Decree of Heydar Aliyev, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan this higher education institution was renamed Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction.
Currently the University has a total area of 49000m2 and consists of College of Construction, Lyceum of technical bias and 8 faculties in 5 education buildings. 7036 students study at the University. 620 students from 14 countries study at the faculty of Education of Foreign citizens and the study is conducted in 3 languages – Azerbaijan, Russian and English.